50 YEARS LATER, DISTURBED THE SOUND OF SILENCE, THRILLS AS MUCH AS SIMON AND GARFUNKEL. IT’S ETERNAL.
1964 | SIMON AND GARFUNKEL
At his 21 years old Paul Simon composes an eternal melody in the darkness of his parents’ house bathroom. Along with Artie Garfunkel they released an acoustic version. They sell 2000 copies and split. Then, the producer Tom Wilson, adds more folk instrumentation and releases it again reaching the No.1 in American charts. The Sound of Silence unites Simon and Garfunkel forever.
2015 | DISTURBED
The Heavy Metal band Disturbed after a 4-year break reunites to make a new album (Immortalized) including a big shift in their career with The Sound of Silence cover. They adapt it with an angrier and lower tone adding an epic ending. Disturbed adapts this masterpiece, moving a new generation (by 2020 it accumulated more than 600 million views in YouTube) and bringing the song back to the top of all charts.
50 years separate these versions, but never has a song expressed a feeling in such a beautiful and profound way. It is an eternal song. Which version do you like more? Wait, don’t answer yet, read the article, listen to the music and you’ll tell me in the end.
Reading Time | 5.48 min
Listening Time | 7.28 min
Full Listening Time > 1 H 19 MIN
TABLE OF CONTENTS OF THE SOUND OF SILENCE
- Trembol | Disturbed Sound of Silence (by Simon and Garfunkel) thrills timelessly
- The Sound of Silence meaning
- This is what it says | Simon & Garfunkel and Disturbed Sound of Silence Lyrics and Spanish translation
- Did you know?
- Much more | Discography, Interviews, Covers, Simon and Garfunkel The Graduate…
- Technical Note about The Sound of Silence
- Be part of this Post | Comments about The Sound of Silence
- The best Simon and Garfunkel songs
- The best Disturbed songs
- What version do you like best? Vote and see the results
Trembol | Disturbed Sound of Silence (by Simon and Garfunkel) thrills timelessly
You know, there are melodies that live with you, don’t you think? Every so often, Simon and Garfunkel “The Sound of Silence” comes to mind. Specifically, the first sentence of the song, “Hello darkness my old friend”. I just get excited; I look for it and listen to it in loop for a few days. Then I stop, I half-forget it, and the process starts again a few years later 😊
When the version of Disturbed came out, to be honest, I didn’t pay much attention to it. Later I heard it again in 2020 and it hit me. Not only the aggressive and angry voice of the front man, David Draiman, but the brilliant way in which they connect with a new generation, 50 years later, because the tunes’ message will always be valid.
Draiman told a newspaper that he and his bandmates didn’t have a clue that any of that success would happen, but if you dig in The Sound of Silence meaning, you see is totally relevant today. Then, if you add a performance that reflect both vulnerability and rock and roll, you understand their massive reach.
The song is from 1964, and it reached No. 1 in the US in 1966, so I was not born yet. Nor could I tell when I first heard it. I’m sure I didn’t understand what it was talking about, but the tone and melody told me it was something important, a song TO MULL OVER. I thought it was ‘the song of silence’, which claimed that we talk a lot without thinking or that we shout too much. As if Paul Simon and Artie Garfunkel (his real name is Arthur [Art] Garfunkel) were asking us to shut up, listen to the sound of silence and reflect.
Well no, nothing to do with that, or maybe a bit, look…
The Sound of Silence meaning
Even though there is the idea that the song expresses the feeling of all Americans when the president of the United States, John F. Kennedy, was assassinated in 1963, it’s not the case. Paul Simon wrote the song when he was 21 years old in 1962, before JFK’s murder occurred.
In some interviews Paul has explained that he used to compose with his guitar in the bathroom, with the lights off and the water flowing, because that sound chilled him out. The first and most legendary phrase of The Sound of Silence: “Hello darkness my old friend” represents that scene when Paul, was again in the darkness of his restroom, mulling over some collage reading material he has gathered and composing a simple melody and lyrics. which in his own words are “youthful alienation”.
In the autobiography “Paul Simon: A Life” by Marc Eliot, Paul Simon explained The Sound of Silence meaning like:
“The inability of people to communicate with each other, not particularly intentionally but especially emotionally, so what you see around you are people unable to love each other”.
You can’t miss ⭐️ The best parts of The Sound of Silence
1. Hello darkness my old friend, What a start from Simon and Garfunkel! Warm, beautiful, and subtle.
2. “Ten thousand people maybe more… no one dared disturb the sound of silence”. The image makes the hair stand on end.
3. The last verse is extremely powerful “people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made”.
1. The “Hello darkness my old friend” by Disturbed is brutal, deep, with echo and accompanied by piano.
2. I love the way David Draiman sings the word ‘without’ in “... without speaking… without listening”. Sounds like a quite cry.
3. The sense of pain with which they sing and play “in the sounds of silence” is touching.
This is what is says | Simon & Garfunkel and Disturbed Sound of Silence Lyrics and Spanish translation
LYRICS SIMON AND GARFUNKEL | THE SOUND OF SILENCE | ENGLISH
Hello darkness, my old friend
I’ve come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Within the sound of silence
In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
‘Neath the halo of a streetlamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence
And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence
“Fools” said I, “You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you”
But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence
And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said
“The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls”
And whispered in the sounds of silence
LYRICS SIMON AND GARFUNKEL | THE SOUND OF SILENCE | SPANISH
Hola oscuridad, mi vieja amiga
He venido a hablar contigo otra vez
Porque una visión arrastrándose suavemente
Dejó sus semillas mientras dormía
Y la visión que se plantó en mi cerebro
En el sonido del silencio
En sueños preocupantes, caminaba sólo
Calles estrechas de adoquines
Bajo la aureola de una farola
Giré el cuello hacia el frío y la humedad
Cuando mis ojos fueron apuñalados por el destello de una luz de neón
Que dividía la noche
Y tocó el sonido del silencio
Y en la desnuda luz vi
Diez mil personas, quizá más
Gente hablando sin decir nada
Gente oyendo sin escuchar
Gente escribiendo canciones cuyas voces nunca comparten
Y nadie se atrevía
A interrumpir el sonido del silencio
“Tontos”, dije yo, “No lo sabéis
El silencio crece como un cáncer
Escucha mis palabras que quizá te enseñe
Toma mis brazos que quizá te alcance”
Pero mis palabras como gotas de lluvia silenciosas cayeron
Y resonaron en los pozos del silencio
Y la gente se inclinó y oró
Al Dios de neón que habían creado
Y el letrero destelleó su advertencia
En las palabras que yo estaba formando
Y el letrero decía
“Las palabras de los profetas están escritas en las paredes del metro
Y en las entradas de edificios de apartamentos”
Y susurraban en los sonidos del silencio
How does Trembol write the lyrics, translation and meaning or story behind?
Translations in Trembol are handmade with a lot of care and love, because we want to explain you the real meaning of the song and the story behind it, with the author words and in different languages. For this reason, we do not use automatic translators, which translate word by word, without understanding the background of the lyrics. In Trembol we believe in emotions and spreading music, that is why we also translate manually all lyrics to Spanish, like this The Sound of Silence Lyrics, with the most famous part of the lyrics Hello Darkness My Old Friend. By the way, if you are wondering if there are different, Sound of the Silence Disturbed lyrics and Simon and Garfunkel lyrics are exactly the same. Click on the box of the language you want to see, and it will open. If your screen is large enough (typically a PC) you will be able to view the two lyrics in parallel, the original and the Spanish translation at the same time. Cool, isn’t it!!
❤ If you like the song as much as we do and you want to help us buying it, here are the links to Amazon and iTunes.
Did you know…?
🤔 Do Simon y Garfunkel like Disturbed cover of The Sound of Silence?
Paul Simon has always praised the cover by Disturbed. Indeed, he published on his social media a message encouraging people to listen to it and even buy Disturbed album Immortalized:
Disturbed lead singer revealed this personal email by Paul Simon:
This is David Draiman emotional reply to Paul Simon:
🤔 Is Simon and Garfunkel Central Park concert their best?
Yes, it is. Paul Simon and Artie Garfunkel split in 1970. Since then, they have reunited several times for tours and concerts.
The most famous and praised one is their free concert in New York in 1981, called Simon and Garfunkel The Concert in Central Park.
The show brought together more than 500,000 people, one the largest in history.
🤔 Is Disturbed performance in Conan late-night show their best?
Yes, it is, according to critics, audience and Paul Simon himself.
In 2016 Disturbed visited the American late-night show by Conan O’Brien and performed The Sound of Silence live with a string orchestra.
It is so popular that it has more than 100 million views in YouTube.
Much more | Discography, Interviews, Covers, Simon & Garfunkel The Graduate…
- This is Simon and Garfunkel Official Web Site.
- To follow them on Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.
- In this 60s interview in Mike Douglas Show they tell how they found out about the song success and they sing some tunes as well.
- Simon and Garfunkel complete discography:
- Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. (1964)
- Sounds of Silence (1966)
- Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (1966)
- Bookends (1968)
- Bridge over Troubled Water (1970)
- The Sound of Silence has tons of covers. We’ve selected the best (if you listen to all of them one after another, you go nuts 😳):
- Trolls The Sound of Silence, from the animated movie.
- Sound of Silence Celtic Thunder, nice Celtic version.
- Sound of Silence PTX (Pentatonix), acoustic cover.
- Todd Hoffman The Sound of Silence, an American TV star.
- Dana Winer Sound of Silence, a great female voice.
- Gregorian The Sound of Silence, Gregorian cover.
- Jadyn Rilee Sound of Silence, a viral little girl.
- And our favourite, which is not really a version, but Simon and Garfunkel song in the soundtrack of Dustin Hoffman film, The Graduate.
- Here Disturbed Official Web Site.
- Their Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube e Instagram.
- An interesting interview with David Draiman from Disturbed. He explains the process since they decided to make the version until they peaked at #1.
- Disturbed complete discography:
- The Sickness (2000)
- Believe (2002)
- Ten Thousand Fists (2005)
- Indestructible (2008)
- Asylum (2010)
- The Lost Children (2011)
- Immortalized (2015)
- Evolution (2018)
Technical Note about The Sound of Silence
SIMON and GARFUNKEL The Sound of Silence
- 🎼 Key | E♭m
- 🎹 Main Chords | D#m – C# – F# – B
- 🎤 Music Style | Folk – Rock: Music with traditional roots that combines rock, blues and folk music. It aroused in the 60s in the United States and in the United Kingdom. It uses simple and clear instrumentation, with guitars, harmonica, and Hammond organ as main elements.
- 🥁 If you want to play the song, here you are a link to the complete sheet. Anyway, our recommendation is:
DISTURBED The Sound of Silence
- 🎼 Key | F#m
- 🎹 Main Sound of Silence Chords | F#m, E, D, A
- 🎤 Music Style | Nu-Metal: It means “New Metal” and it was born as a fusion between Heavy Metal and grunge, alternative rock and hip-hop. It started in the 90s and 2000s in the US. It takes more care of the rhythm than the melody and uses strong bass, electric guitars, and synths.
- 🥁 We share a link to the sheet in case you feel like trying to play the song. As always, we recommend:
The best Simon and Garfunkel songs 🥇
1. “The Graduate” soundtrack includes many songs by Artie Garfunkel and Paul Simon. The most famous one is “Mrs. Robinson”.
2. Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water is their best record and after our Trembol, the best duo song. Get the vinyl for collectors and music lovers.
The best Disturbed band songs 🤘
1. Disturbed music shifted to a more melodic heavy in their Immortalized album (vinyl here). This a great song from the new era: “You’re mine”.
2. The vocal evolution of David Draiman and the band’s musical one (Dan Donegan, John Moyer y Mike Wengren) peaks at Disturbed new album, Evolution, and this wonder, “A Reason To Fight”.
Top 5 tunes by Simon and Garfunkel
Top 10 tunes by Disturbed
The best Disturbed playlist, with songs from most of their records: Stricken, The Vengeful One, Voice, Land of Confusion, etc.
¿Heavy or classic? Share the results and the article with your friends
Header and Featured Image used in this article and on Social Media: They were all at peace in their nesting area when something spooked them, by Ken Douglas, on Flickr | Simon & Garfunkel Header Image: Joost Evers, Nationaal Archief, Den Haag, Rijksfotoarchief: Fotocollectie Algemeen Nederlands Fotopersbureau (ANEFO), 1945-1989 – negatiefstroken zwart/wit, nummer toegang 2.24.01.05, bestanddeelnummer 919-3035 / CC BY-SA 3.0 NL | Disturbed Header Image: alaina buzas / CC BY