Bruce Springsteen Biography [1949-2022] The story of America and Rock through his albums
Springsteen has sold more than 135 million records, has earned 20 Grammy Awards, 2 Golden Globes, 1 Academy Award, and 1 Tony Award, was inducted into the Songwriters and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and yet he is and will be remembered for the brutal honesty of his music. We tell you the story of The Boss.
3 Songs to know Bruce Springsteen
🏆 GREATEST HIT
Bruce Springsteen Born to Run
What words can be used to describe one of the greatest rock songs? Just this: Born to Run.
💛 TREMBOL FAVOURITE
Bruce Springsteen Stones
In his 2019 album, Western Stars, you can find a jewel. Stones, Bruce Springsteen best recent song.
Bruce Springsteen Letter to You
Bruce Springsteen’s new album in 2020, Letter to You. He is back with The E Street Band and fabulous songs like “Ghosts”.
Bruce Springsteen Trembol Card
- 🗿 Name: Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen
- 🎂 Born: September 23, 1949.
- 👫 Genres: Bruce is Rock and Roll and some Folk.
- ♈ Nickname: The Boss. He used to divide the profits between the band members at the end of every concert, hence the name.
- 📝 Signature:
- 💿 Discography: 20 studio albums in 2020.
- 🕴 Band: Most part of his career, except from a few albums, he’s been with The E Street Band. The most popular member of the band is Steven Van Zandt (guitar)
- 🔗 Official Website: brucespringsteen.net
- 🗣 Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify.
I spent most of my life as a musician measuring the distance between the American Dream and American reality.
Other music stories we recommend
Story of all Bruce Springsteen Albums | Songs, images, fun facts and videos
Bruce Springsteen was born in 1949 in New Jersey into a Catholic family. From the day he was 7 years old when he saw Elvis Presley on TV, he knew he wanted to play Rock and Roll. So he did with small bands in his city until he was almost 22 years old.
He had no future in New Jersey, so left his city seeking his opportunity and boy did he find it, thanks to his talent and hard work.
The Boss, as he is known, has released 20 albums telling the story of America, always from a working class perspective, which he continues to do today, with his latest 2020 album, Letter to You. Don’t miss the life and music of the great American Rock legend, Bruce Springsteen.
Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen was born on September 23, 1949 in New Jersey, USA.
- He spent his childhood between school, homework, church and the green beans his mother made, which he hated 🧆
- His whole family lived crammed into 5 houses very close together, surrounded by churches and other Christian institutions.
His mother was a court clerk and his father was a bus driver, among many other jobs. For Bruce his parents were his heroes, although he saw little of his father, who spent more time at the bar than with him.
His love affair with music began when he was only 7 years old when he saw an Elvis Presley performance on The Ed Sullivan Show. As Bruce himself said:
It was as if the Rock n Roll genius appeared to me and said, you have to be him.
- He immediately asked his mother for a guitar, but as they had no money they had to rent it. It didn’t last long, after 2 weeks he got tired of it. Later, at the age of 13, he would insist again until he got his first guitar for 18 dollars or what his father called, “the fucking guitar” 🎸
In 1965 he joined his first group as guitarist,, The Castiles, although he would soon become the singer of the band as well.
- They recorded 2 songs and played a few concerts.
- He then went on to play in a musical trio known as Earth.
In 1969, at the age of 20, his parents moved to California and he was left living alone on the New Jersey shore, waiting to be discovered by a talent scout.
- But his hometown was too small, and although he played as many gigs as he could with the members of his band, the Steel Mill, which would later change its name to The E Street Band, it was impossible to succeed.
It was the year 1971, Bruce was around 23, but despite his youth he had an experience of almost 10 years playing with different bands in multiple places in New Jersey.
- No one knew him yet, but he wanted to take over the world, he had a great group of musicians behind (the future E Street Band) and what he called a magic trick, which for us is his honest way of portraying reality.
Thanks to a friend, he had the opportunity to perform in San Francisco receiving good reviews from the press, which opened the door for him to later attract the attention of Mike Appel and Jim Cretecos, who would become his representatives.
- On the night of May 2, 1972, he played for John H. Hammond, a well-known producer for the largest record label in the United States, Columbia Records. Upon finishing Hammond said:
His integrity hit me as soon as he opened his lips, his youthful rebelliousness and lyrics filled with melodramatic stories and sarcastic Catholic imagery enchanted me.
Bruce Springsteen Blinded by the Light
1 year later, in 1973, Bruce Sprinsgteen would release his first album, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.
- It was not a commercial success, but it was a critical one.
- It includes the song “Blinded by the Light” which gives its name to the great film of 2019 with Bruce Springsteen songs as a leitmotif and soundtrack.
In 1973 he published The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
- 2nd album with slight movement from Folk to R&B.
- It includes “Rosalita”, one of the most played and acclaimed songs in his live shows. You can see it in the video.
Bruce Springsteen Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
Bruce Springsteen and Steve van Zandt (Facebook Image)
Bruce’s first hit was in 1975, Born to Run
- Believe it or not, it did not reach No. 1, however, it is currently the most emblematic song of The Boss 🎸
- Guitarist Van Zandt (he was on The Sopranos and always wears a headscarf like in the picture) joined the band. He added the unmistakable guitar line to
- “Born to Run”.
- The album includes tremendous Rock & Roll classics such as: Jungleland or Thunder Road.
Bruce Springsteen Hungry Heart
In 1978 The Boss released,Darkness in the Edge of Town, which meant a turn towards political issues
- Bruce began his characteristic long concerts on the tour of this album 😎
And in 1980. The River was Bruce’s first No.1 with songs like ‘Hungry Heart‘ or ‘The River‘.
Bruce Springsteen The River
His 1982 album, Nebraska, is part of their most depressed phase.
- The album was full of songs in support of the working class recorded in acoustic format.
- It did not have great sales, although the reviews were again good and today it is almost a cult album.
Bruce Springsteen Born in the USA (Facebook Image)
Bruce Springsteen Born in the U.S.A.
Born in the U.S.A. from 1984, is one of the best-selling albums in history
Born in the U.S.A. is a song against the Vietnam War that has a very special story behind:
- Back in the 80s, Bruce was 30 years old, he was driving near a small town in Phoenix, stopped at a gas station and saw a book called “Born on the 4th of July” by Vietnam veteran Ron Kovic.
- He stopped for a few days at a nearby hotel and saw a man in a wheelchair, who turned out to be Ron Kovic himself. Ron shared his experience with Bruce and visited a veterans center with him.
- That experience, together with that of friends of The Boss who perished in the war, inspired Born in the U.S.A.
Bruce Springsteen Dancing in the Dark
- Dancing in the Dark was the most successful of the 7 singles from Born in the U.S.A. album
- The video for the song shows a young Courteney Cox (Mónica on Friends series) dancing on stage with Springsteen. That helped launching her actress’s career.
This is Bruce’s most successful era
- All his albums were reissued in the UK and they all hit the charts
- He also released a fivefold album called ‘Live/1975-85′ selling 13 million copies. Can you imagine that happening currently? A five-record box set! 💿💿💿💿💿
Bruce Springsteen Brilliant Disguise
After marrying Julianne Phillips, with whom he would be with for 5 years, he released Tunnel of Love in 1987, a less vindictive record, focus on love.
- It includes my favorite song by The Boss, “Brilliant Disguise“.
1987. Tunnel of Love is a less vindictive album focused on love. It includes my favourite song, “Brilliant Disguise”.
1988. Bruce give a concert in Germany to 300.000 people, cited by the local press as “the most important rock concert of all time”.
In 1988 Bruce makes a concert in Germany in front of 300,000 people, cited by the local press as “the most important rock concert of all time“.
- During that tour, his relationship with Patti Scialfa, whom he calls My Jersey Girl, came to light. Patti would become his wife to this day and the mother of his 3 children.
The 90s. It’s the less prolific time of The Boss
- In 1989 The E Street Band was dissolved.
- In 1992 Bruce releases 2 albums at the same time “Human Touch” and “Lucky Town”.
- In 1995, he would release his 2nd Folk album followed by an acoustic tour without great repercussion, “The Ghost of Tom Joad”.
Bruce Springsteen Human Touch
In 2001 something terrible happened, the September 11 terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers.
- It was time to bring the country back together. Bruce started with his friends, the E Street Band. They got down to it and put together a great rock and roll album, “The Rising“.
Bruce Springsteen The Rising
In 2005 he released, Devils & Dust
- Bruce did not have a good relationship with his father, who was, as The Boss said: “Someone I used to see around”.
- Before having his first child, his father came to visit him and asked Bruce not to make the same mistakes as him.
“It was the best moment I ever had with my father”, said Bruce dedicating this song to him:
Bruce Springsteen Long Time Comin’
From 2006 to 2009 he released:
- A folk album dedicated to Pete Seeger, “We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions”,
- a good album, “Magic”,
- and an album in memory of Danny Federici, member of the band died of cancer, “Working on a Dream”.
Bruce Springsteen Wrecking Ball
Wrecking Ball, in 2012, became Springsteen’s tenth number one album in the United States.
In 2014 was time for High Hopes, a covers album that ushers in the era of profitable world tours for Bruce Springsteen.
- ‘The River 2016 Tour’ was his highest grossing tour with 1.1 million tickets sold and more than 268 millon revenue.
Bruce Springsteen Sundown
In 2019 Bruce released Western Stars
- A wonderful record, played with an orchestra, which includes songs like “Sundown”, “Hello Sunshine”, or what for us is the best recent song by Bruce Springsteen, Stones.
Then in 2020, Letter to You, Bruce Springsteen new album in 2020, which marks his return with The E Street Band.
In 2021 Bruce continued his radio project ‘From my home to yours‘, where he talks, of course, about music.
- On many other topics such as race, fatherhood, marriage and America, Bruce Springsteen talks to President Barack Obama in an 8-episode podcast called ‘Renegades: Born In The USA‘.
- Also linked to politics, Bruce sang at President Joe Biden’s inauguration.
- The boss resumed his famous ‘Springsteen on Broadway’ in summer 2021.
Almost at beginning of 2022, “The Legendary 1979 No Nukes Concerts” was released. Composed of 2 performances filmed during the 1979 MUSE benefit concerts.
Bruce Springsteen is Rock n’ Roll history and has inspired and accompanied generations with his strong and close lyrics. We love you Bruce!
If you have been wanting more music, we recommend Best Bruce Springsteen Songs Playlist
🤔 Preguntas más buscadas en Google sobre Bruce Springsteen
¿Brus Sprinter, Bruce Springer o Bruce Pristing, cómo se escribe su nombre?
Estos tres nombres: brus sprinter, bruce springer y bruce pristing, son las tres formas más comunes y divertidas con las que los hispanohablantes escriben el nombre de Bruce Springsteen.
Como veréis el nombre trae menos problemas que el apellido. “Brus” es la manera en la que suena el nombre en español. Este es el listado de los nombres por lo que se busca a Bruce Springsteen:
- Brus Sprinter
- Bruce Springer
- Bruce Pristing
- Bruce Sprinstin
- Bruce Espristin
- Bruce Esprinter
- Bruce Bruce Springsteen
- Blues Springsteen
- El bos
- The bosse
Por si tenéis curiosidad, su nombre completo es Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen. Imaginaros que tuviéramos que buscar eso 😊
El nombre es lo de menos, lo que importa es la maravillosa música actual y de siempre de Bruce Springsteen (Bruce Manantiales Adolescentes, traducido al español), buscarlo como queráis.
¿Qué edad tiene Bruce Springsteen?
Bruce Springsteen tiene 71 años, bueno, sólo si ves este artículo en 2020 (cuando se escribió), sino te toca hacer la resta: su cumpleaños es el 23 de Septiembre de 1949.
Para los años que tiene se conserva genial y sigue dando conciertos de rock increíbles, de más de 3 horas. Supongo que es por eso, por lo que la edad del Boss interesa tanto.
Por cierto, por si os estáis preguntando dónde nació Bruce Springsteen, fue en Estados Unidos, en el estado de Nueva Jersey, más concretamente en Long Branch (Rama Larga).
¿Qué es 'Blinded by the Light' de Bruce Springsteen?
Maybe when reading the question your thoughts turned to the marvelous song by The Weeknd, Blinding Lights or to Manfred Mann, Blinded by the Light. Nothing like that, we are talking about a film that tells the story of a British-Pakistani Muslim teenager whose life changes radically when he discovers The Boss tunes.
The movie is not based on Bruce’s life, the meaning behind Blinded by the Light is just what inspiring Springsteen’s music is to the main character. Of course, there are tons of Springsteen songs in Blinded by the Light Soundtrack.
Mi favourite part of Blinded by the Light is when the only other Muslim in the high school approaches the main character and gives him 2 records from The Boss, saying:
Bruce Springstten is the direct line to all that is true in this shitty world.
¿Por qué llaman a Bruce Springsteen 'The Boss'?
El apodo le viene de su época joven, allá por 1972, cuando con su banda, que aún no se llamaba “E Street Band”, él se encarga de cobrar en los sitios dónde actuaban y luego repartía las ganancias entre la banda.
Entonces sus compañeros empezaron a llamarle “The Boss (El Jefe)”, por ser el que manejaba el dinero.
¿Qué es 'Bruce Springsteen en Broadway'?
Bruce Springsteen en Broadway es una serie de 236 conciertos que Bruce dió en el teatro Walter Kerr de Manhanttan entre 2017 y 2018.
No se trata de un concierto al uso, sino de un espectáculo en el que, entre canción y canción, The Boss cuenta cómo empezó, cómo se convirtió en una estrella del rock y todo en un ambiente íntimo y especial.
Como conmemoración, se editó un vinilo para coleccionistas y un disco, llamado Bruce Springsteen on Broadway. Y si tienes Netflix, por ahí podrás encontrarlo también.
🎁 Buy or Give Bruce Springsteen
Live in Dublin. The most purchased live album
Essential album for any fan. On CD or Vinyl (includes an mp3 copy of the album)
Learn how to play like Bruce Springsteen
Piano, Ukulele, Guitar… on E-CHORDS you’ll find millions of songs to learn how to play like The Boss
You choose. All from Bruce Springsteen
All The Boss’ gifts: records, pictures, etc. Choose your favourite Bruce item
Letter to You bruce springsteen new album
The latest record in 2020 by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Letter to You
The best album, Born in the U.S.A.
On CD or Vinyl (includes a free mp3 copy of the album)
Bruce Springsteen Autobiography. A bestseller
Bruce says: “Writing about yourself is a very curious thing. But I’m going to show my mind to the reader”
The book that inspired Born in the USA
Ron Kovac’s book, a Vietnam war veteran who Bruce met and inspired Born in the U.S.A.
Bruce Springsteen: All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track
The story behind every Bruce Springsteen song. A Gift to Fans