[1987-2021] MICHAEL KIWANUKA ALBUMS & STORY OF A BLACK MAN IN A WHITE WORLD
🏆 GREATES HIT and 💛 TREMBOL FAVOURITE
Michael Kiwanuka Cold Little Heart
It’s the first time that the artist’s greatest hit matches our favourite song, there must be a reason 😉 The song became popular when it was chosen as the main theme of “Big Little Lies” series. The emotion that it transmits is hardly comparable. Find out more.
Michael Kiwanuka Kiwanuka
In 2019 Kiwanuka came out, an album that doesn’t have one or two hit songs but the whole record is a treasure. As a sign, ‘Light’:
Going by the name Kiwanuka (of Ugandan origin) and living in London was not easy for Michael. He couldn’t find his place. It took him many years and many songs to learn the wonderfulness of each one and of himself, as well as his ability to move everyone with his indescribable music. Discover his journey with us.
Michael Kiwanuka Trembol Card
- 🗿 Name: Michael Samuel Kiwanuka
- 🎂 Year: Born on May 3, 1987 in London (UK).
- 👫 Genres: Soul, Folk Rock and Blues.
- 😎 Nickname: None, even though he is commonly called by his surname ‘Kiwanuka‘.
- 💿 Discography: 3 studio albums and 3 EPs.
- 🔗 Official Website: www.michaelkiwanuka.com
- 🗣 Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Spotify, YouTube.
Music has 12 notes. That’s not very big number but yet we’ve had so much different music I just don’t understand how.
There’s gotta be something more, something spiritual and it’s that’s where my faith is.
Do you want more music stories. Here are some:
Georges Bizet. The magnificent works of a short life.
Starboy The Weeknd
Bruce Springsteen, legendary albums and life
Michael Kiwanuka Albums & Story
- Son of Ugandans fleeing the ‘Ugandan Butcher’ (Idi Amin Dada) regime, Michael began playing acoustic guitar at age 12, when his mother saved enough to buy one.
- It was like a revelation for him and at 15 he would already compose his own music, doing some gigs.
- He later became a studio musician, playing guitar for British Hip Hop and R&B artists such as Chipmunk or Bashy.
- He began to be aware of his voice late, in his early 20s. Goodness! 😱
- Michael said that what he wanted to express did not exist in music and he had to show it, create his own art. A bit like we do in Trembol, tell the music in our own way 🙂
- His first official concert was at The Oxford at age 22. He came to the attention of the record label ‘Communion Records‘.
Michael Kiwanuka Tell me a Tale
2011. He release his first 2 EPs (extra plays) “Tell me a Tale (Isle of Wight Sessions)” and “I’m Getting Ready”.
- That year he opened for Adele.
2012. First studio album “Home Again”
- It was highly praised by critics who singled out Michael Kiwanuka as a future British soul prodigy. They were very right 👍
Michael Kiwanuka Home Again
2014. Time of crisis and 3rd EP “You’ve Got Nothing to Lose”
- He scrapped an entire second album, ‘Night Songs‘ because he was unsatisfied with its quality. Michael said:
I was kind of lost. I was thinking of giving up.
Michael Kiwanuka You’ve Got Nothing to Lose
2016. Michael Kiwanuka met a producer called Inflo and got in the studio with him. After 4 days trying things with his acoustic guitar, he suddenly started singing this tune in a loop: “I’m a black man in a white world”. Something ignited in him and he felt the excitement again.
- The result was his gorgeous tune ‘Black Man in a White World’.
- Who would have known that a song about not fitting in, set to a handclap rhythm, inspired by the Blues singer Son House, was going to transcend music and become an anthem for the Afro-American community of the United States.
Michael Kiwanuka Facebook Image
Michael Kiwanuka Black Man in a White World
- Danger Mouse, a producer that you surely know as a member of Gnarls Barkley, along with CeeLo Green, for their smash hit Crazy, joined Michael Kiwanuka and Inflo.
2016. They would finally release “Love & Hate”, Kiwanuka’s second and spectacular album
- The album was a critical and commercial success, reaching number 1 on the UK.
- The album is full of great tunes, like our favourite song, “Cold Little Heart” which meaning we discuss here.
- We must also highligt “Love & Hate”. The live session version is a ray of light. Michael Kiwanuka says the video was made as an homage to old live Pink Floyd videos like Live in Pompeii.
Michael Kiwanuka Love & Hate
2019. Michael released his third and most praised album called “Kiwanuka” with the same producers of his previous record, Inflo and Danger Mouse.
- He called the album after him because it represented the time when he finally accepted himself. ‘Kiwanuka’ also represents his family, his heritage, his individuality and his uniqueness. Michael Kiwanuka explained:
Kiwanuka, the album, to me means my declaration for my love of art and being an artist, the time where I’ve finally took hold of who I am and took hold of just the joy of being a musician, the joy of being a singer, the joy of being a songwriter. Kiwanuka means a great deal to me.
- The album was recorded with Dolby ATMOS technology to be listened in 3 dimensions.
Michael Kiwanuka You Ain’t the Problem
Michael Kiwanuka Piano Joint
Michael Kiwanuka handwritten letter about his album ‘Kiwanuka’
My hopes for ‘Kiwanuka’ is that it just stands the test of time and it’s considered an album that is a really nice piece of art.
Michael Kiwanuka live (Facebook Image)
Michael Kiwanuka got tired of impostor syndrome and self-doubt, tired of living in his room wasting his time with thoughts of inferiority. After 30 years he is ready to make his mark music history.
Kiwanuka gives us something new on every album. We can’t wait to see what’s next!
You might feel like listening to Michael Kiwanuka essential playlist.
🤔 Google most searched questions about Michael Kiwanuka
Where is Michael Kiwanuka from and where does he live?
Michael Kiwanuka’s parents are from Uganda, but they fled to United Kingdom during the dictatorship of the ‘The Butcher of Uganda’, Idi Amin Dada Oumee.
They moved to North London (UK) to a neighborhood called Muswell Hill.
Michael Kiwanuka now lives with his wife in Southampton.
How old is Michael Kiwanuka?
Michael Kiwanuka is 33 years old (in 2020). He was born on May 3, 1987 in London.
Is Michael Kiwanuka married?
Yes, his wife is called Charlotte and they got married in 2016. They have an adopted dog named Whisky.
The 3 of them appear in this photo from their Instagram:
Has Michael Kiwanuka received any awards?
Kiwanuka has several awards:
- 2012: Sound of 2012 (BBC)
- 2016: Critics Award (Los 40 Music Award)
- 2017: Album of the Year for ‘Love & Hate’ (Worlwide Awards)
- 2017: Best Global Act for ‘Love & Hate’ (HiPipo Music Awards)
- 2020: Mercury Prize for ‘Kiwanuka’ (Hyundai)
- 2020: Nominated for Best Rock Album Grammy for ‘Kiwanuka’
🎁 Buy or Give Michael Kiwanuka
Kiwanuka's 1st album
A wonderful record, either in MP3, CD or Vinyl, you must have it.
Learn how to play like Michael Kiwanuka
Piano, Ukulele, Guitar… on E-CHORDS you’ll find millions of songs to learn to play like Michael Kiwanuka.
Michael Kiwanuka 'Love & Hate'
His 2nd album with classics like ‘Cold Little Heart’ or ‘Love & Hate’. The fan favorite.
'Big Little Lies' Soundtrack
The soundtrack of the series that made “Cold Little Heart” so popular. Packed with lots of good music, you’ll see.
KIWANUKA, Praised by critics
When all critics say it’s one of the albums of the decade, it’s for a reason. We specially recommend the vinyl version.