Party Music 2 | 13 of the best songs for any celebration, plus their stories
A new round of music that is essential in every celebration. Those party songs that all generations have danced until today, plus the stories that inspired them. Party time 🥳
Find out the story behind 13 songs that are played at all parties
There is always a good reason to celebrate, and we can’t think of a better way to do it than with the music that has made all generations dance, including the current one. If you like party songs, don’t take your eyes off the screen, because we bring you 13 tunes that will get you out of your seat 💃🕺🏽
1. LUIS MIGUEL La Bikina
‘Vivo‘ Album | Mexico | 2000
- A walk on the beach is always a real treat, and if not, just tell Rubén Fuentes, author of La Bikina, a song composed in 1964 and popularized by Luis Miguel in 2000.
- What does La Bikina mean? It turns out that Fuentes’ son told his father during a walk on the beach: women in bikinis should be called “bikinas” 👙, and so the song was born.
- It is also said that this very danceable music is inspired by a Mexican folklore legend dating back to the time of the Cristeros War.
- Be that as it may, what is undoubtable is that this song was and is a hit that has been covered by different artists, such as Celia Cruz, Julio Iglesias in French (‘L’existence se danse’) or Ana Guerra in a TV contest in 2017 🎤
2. ERIC PRYDZ Call On Me
‘Call On Me‘ Album | Sweden | 2004
- Call on me is one of those party songs that you can’t get out of your mind.
- It’s a cover of Steve Winwood’s ‘Valerie‘, who collaborated with Eric Prydz to improve the song, stating:
I quite liked it, I think he did a good job, I mean it’s not exactly my cup of tea but, I liked what he did technically with it which is why I agreed to work with him on it a little bit.
- The song was a hit in several countries, especially in Australia.
- The video for the song, starring Australian choreographer Deanne Berry and Argentinean actor Juan Pablo Di Pace, is set in an aerobics class with a few routines a little over the top and an 80’s aesthetic. It was the most downloaded video ever in Australia 🥵
3. VILLAGE PEOPLE YMCA
‘Cruisin’ Album | USA | 1978
- The quintessential track of every celebration! If you want to jump with your friends, you have to play it.
- But, what is the story behind YMCA?
- First of all, you must know that it was a complete revolution, becoming the first gay anthem in the history of music 🏳🌈 Undoubtedly, a risky step, but on the right direction.
- How would you feel if we told you that YMCA was just a song to fill an album? David Hodo, singer of Village People, explained that they needed a song to finish their third album, so they started working on it and in 20 minutes the demo of YMCA was ready.
- In addition, the title of the controversial song refers to the Young Men’s Christian Association, who were not amused by the tune, so much so that they filed a lawsuit against the Village People.
- Finally, we can’t forget the legendary dance: who hasn’t formed the initials Y-M-C-A with their arms at least once in their life? 🤩
4. PATRICIO REY Y SUS REDONDITOS DE RICOTA Jijiji
‘Oktubre‘ Album | Argentina | 1986
- When we start dancing, many times we forget the lyrics and we get carried away by the rhythm. Or, simply, we don’t understand something if the song is in another language and we just enjoy it.
- An example of this is ‘Jijiji‘, a song that although partying, hides in its verses the story of the terrible murder and rape of a girl in Mar de Plata 😓 Why then using a laugh for the title (Jijiji)? It was because it is the word that the girl’s friends found painted in blood on the wall of the apartment where they were on vacation. Solari, singer of the group, said:
For me the title is very meaningful. Because Ji-ji-ji is a wicked laughter, it marks a two-dimensionality.
- Despite the obscure nature of the song, written by Indio Solari and Skay Beilinson, vocalist and guitarist of the group respectively, it is the most successful track of the Argentine rock band.
5. SAM FELDT Y RANI Post Malone
‘Magnets EP‘ Album | Holland and Georgia | 2019
- ‘We’re never going home‘ says one of Post Malone‘s verses, one of those dance songs that you definitely have to play at your parties 🎉
- The track is an ode to rapper Post Malone. It is basically about enjoying, dancing and drinking the night away, something the famous rapper is known for, long nights of revelry 😛
- DJ Sam Feldt enlisted the collaboration of Rani, then an emerging artist at just 19 years old, of whom Feldt said:
We worked several weeks perfecting the vocals and after that got cracking in the studio to turn it into a summer-ready (after) party anthem. I think the end result is a perfect balance between Rani’s poppy vocals and the signature Sam Feldt summer sound.
6. PEREZA Princesas (Princesses)
‘Animales‘ Album | Spain | 2005
- Although they were already somewhat known in the music scene, the duo Pereza made their leap to stardom with Princesas (Princesses), the first single from their album Animales (Animals).
- Princesas is a rogue song, rock and cool at the same time. In short, an explosive mix.
- I still remember how they would close my favorite bar every weekend with this song and me and my friends would go crazy singing it in unison.
- The song talks about how the main character wants to enjoy life without worries. It tells us to make the most of every moment trying to avoid becoming another name on some woman’s hit list 👸
- Is it based on personal experiences? The members of Pereza explained:
Not everything that is written is based on something that actually happened and, to tell you the truth, Princesas is not our favourite song, even when it is one of the most popular.
You might also like:
🎂 Party Music 1
🏋 Workout Music
📣 Playlist Hits 1
🚗 Travel Music
7. IMPERIO Cyberdream
‘Return to Paradise‘ Album | Austria | 1996
- And all of a sudden, we’re back to the 90s with Cyberdream! It’s impossible not to see yourself back in the summer of 1996, dancing to the rhythm of this Eurodance-style disco tune 🎇
- The song, belongs to the Austrian band Imperio (Empire), being part of ‘Return to Paradise‘, their 2nd studio album.
- The band’s name comes from the Roman Empire, which they used as a hallmark of their records and videos. They even used Latin as a language to name some of their songs 🛡️
- In fact, ‘CyberDream’ itself refers to that era with the following verse:
Please enter code for selected destination.
Destination Roman Empire
Enjoy your trip with cyberdream
- Although mi favorite part is when it sings:
I believe in the power of magic In the power of magic In the power of dreams
8. JASON DERULO Don’t Wanna Go Home
‘Future History‘ Album | USA | 2011
- We carry on with music that invites you to dance all night and we give the turn to Jason Derulo with his hit ‘Don’t Wanna Go Home‘.
I wanted to write a song that people could escape their problems, their pain, their turmoil, and by doing a feel-good song, I’m doing just that. You don’t have to write a song about saving the world to do just that. We created this new age party-smasher.
- ‘Don’t Wanna Go Home‘ includes the sample of two songs: ‘Show Me Love’ by Robin S., and ‘Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)’, published in 1956 by Harry Belafonte.
- Thanks to its electropop and dance sound and its party soul, it reached the Top 1 in the UK, being Derulo’s second single to reach this position consecutively after ‘In My Head’.
- In the clip, Derulo shares stage with Melody Thornton, known for her time with the Pussycat Dolls.
9. YOLANDA BE COOL & DCUP We No Speak Americano
‘Sólid Sounds 2010.2‘ Album | Australia | 2010
- My feet always start shaking at the sound of this saxophone 🎷
- Since its release, it was a big hit in Europe, the United States, Latin America and Australia, homeland of the duo Yolanda Be Cool and DCUP.
- ‘We No Speak Americano’ is not entirely original, as it samples ‘Tu vuò fà l’americano’, released by Italian singer Renato Carosone in 1954.
- It is not the only version, Pitbull made his own in Spanish, ‘Bon, Bon’.
- If you’re from Spain or Latin America, you’re sure to know this great song by another name, ‘Pa-Panamericano’.
- So lively is its melody that this track has been used in films like Madagascar 3 or Alvin and the Chipmunks. In addition, it was the soundtrack of the gold medal in the floor routine of the American Gabby Douglas at the London Olympics in 2012 🥇
10. LOS BRAVOS Black Is Black
‘Black is Black’ Album | Spain | 1966
- Black is Black occupies a very special place in the memories of all those who went to parties in the 60’s, among them, my parents. The song has stood the test of time, sounding as good now as it did decades ago.
- Los Bravos are a legendary Spanish pop rock band that for the first time managed to take Spanish music to the length and breadth of the planet.
- Much of the merit of becoming an international band is Michael Volker’s (known as Mike Kennedy), the frontman whose English pronunciation was perfect 👅
- The song triumphed all over the world, but even more so in English-speaking countries. In fact, it’s funny that in the United States its initial success derived from a confusion. That’s because Americans thought that the song was performed by Gene Pitney! 😂
- Like any relevant song, it’s been covered many times over the years. Some examples are: La Belle Epoque, La Unión o the French adaptation by Johnny Hallyda, ‘Noir C’est Noir’.
11. MACHINE GUN KELLY Bloody Valentine
‘Tickets To My Downfall’ Album | USA | 2020
- Bloody Valentine is the advance track of Machine Gun Kelly‘s 5th album, released in 2020.
- Categorized within pop punk, this song also has an acoustic version, also released in 2020.
- The rapper owes his stage name to a famous criminal 🩸 However, the lyrics of ‘Bloody Valentine’ are full of romanticism and hopes to find love. We can’t say the same about the video, starring Megan Fox and the rapper himself.
- By the way, the track was going to be called ‘Bloody Massacre‘, which one do you like best?
Who is Machine Gun Kelly’s Bloody Valentine?
It is rumored that the tune was always about Megan Fox. Maybe that’s why they both worked together on the music video for the track and the chemistry between the two led them to start a relationship, just after sharing more time together on the set of Midnight in the Switchgrass ❤️️
12. KATE RYAN Désenchantée (Disenchanted)
‘Different‘ Album | France | 2002
- In France and all over Europe in the 2000s it was impossible not to listen to the Belgian Kate Ryan in a bar, club or party.
- The song is a cover of Désenchantée by Mylène Farmer, released in 1991.
- ‘Désenchantée’ talks about a generation disenchanted with life and the chaotic world we live in, although with its rhythm, the song invites you to forget your troubles on the dance floor.
- The singer, also known for ‘Elle elle l’a’ and for covering the well-known ‘Voyage, Voyage’, also participated as Belgium’s representative at Eurovision 2006, although she didn’t make it to the final of the contest.
- I love it, don’t you?
13. GERI HALLIWELL It’s Raining Men
‘Scream If You Wanna Go Faster’ Album | United Kingdom | 2001
- In 2001 Geri Halliwell released her 2nd solo album after her time with the Spice Girls 👯👯 In this work, the UK singer included a disco dance version of the famous song ‘It’s Raining Men‘, which was also part of the soundtrack of the blockbuster film Bridget Jones’s Diary.
- For Geri this single was a sales success. The same happened to the duet The Weather Girls, who recorded it for the first time in 1982. Like ‘YMCA’, this song was conceived as a gay anthem.
- What’s more striking is that before that, ‘It’s Raining Men‘ was rejected by Dianna Ross, Donna Summer, Cher or Barbra Streisand! 😲 What would they think after seeing that the track was such a hit?
- Luckily Geri recovered this magical tune that closes this round of dance songs, but please, keep the party going! 🎉
YouTube Playlist Best Dance Songs 2
To listen to the Playlist without interruptions visit our Youtube channel
Spotify Playlist Best Dance Songs 2
Find more music related to:Dance | Eric Prydz | Geri Halliwey | Imperio | Jason Derulo | Kate Ryan | Los Bravos | Luis Miguel | Machine Gun Kelly | Patricio Rey y Sus Redonditos de Ricota | Pereza | Pop | RANI | Rock | Sam Feldt | Spotify Playlist | Village People | Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP | YouTube Playlist