TAYLOR SWIFT Midnights (3am Edition) | What does Taylor think about when she can’t sleep?
Taylor Swift has done it again. She has broken all sales records when it seemed impossible with one of her most personal and retrospective albums, Midnights. The sleepless nights have paid off for Miss Americana, and this album leaves us with 13 tracks where she opens up and shows all her insecurities, and 7 more as a gift in Midnights (3am Edition)🌙 Let’s find out what Taylor Swift thinks about when she can’t sleep.
Taylor Swift Midnight Rain
What is Midnights, Taylor Swift’s tenth studio album, about?
- ‘Lavender haze’ was the way people referred to being in love back in the 1950s in America, a decade Taylor names in her song.
All they keep asking me
Is if I’m gonna be your bride
The only kind of girl they see
Is a one night or a wife
We jump back to another of Taylor’s relationships, and according to fan speculation, Maroon could be about her love affair with Harry Styles, the inspiration for the acclaimed album 1989 ✨.
- The reference in the lyrics to a wine stain on her clothes, already featured in Clean, got many people thinking this, as well as a video of the two dancing barefoot in New York in the company of friends. However, just as many people relate the track to Jake Gyllenhaal and just as many to John Mayer.
Anti-Hero is the first single of this new era for the American singer. The song comes with a music video that has been the subject of controversy and censorship. The reason? In this song Taylor talks about her insecurities, showing us through the lyrics and plot of the short film how she feels struggling with her own demons 👹 Specifically, the music platforms have removed a frame where Taylor appears on top of a dumbbell while the word FAT is shown. What many have considered a gesture of fatphobia, is nothing more than Taylor’s perception of herself, as she recounted in her Netflix documentary, where she claimed she had problems with food and was unable to look at pictures of herself because she didn’t feel comfortable in her own skin.
I’ll stare directly at the sun but never in the mirror
It must be exhausting always rooting for the anti-hero
The album continues with Snow On The Beach, a long-awaited collaboration between Taylor Swift and Lana del Rey.
- Although Lana’s participation has finally been almost anecdotal, it has taken the edge off for fans of both, who had been predicting this moment for years.
- The song is about something as rare and beautiful as snow on the beach – love 🌊
You’re on Your Own, Kid, shows again a vulnerable Taylor talking about a summer love that never came true, with references to some of her most iconic songs like Evermore, Teardrops on My Guitar or Tim McGraw.
- She also exposes her own problems and her vision after the tireless passing of the years, talking about loneliness, the search for the perfect love, media pressure or her eating problems, and the fact that fame does not provide everything nor is it the solution to our internal struggles.
From sprinkler splashes
to fireplace ashes
I gave my blood, sweat, and tears for this
I hosted parties and starved my body
Like I’d be saved by a perfect kiss
Track number 6 of this long-awaited album is Midnight Rain, a song that could refer to Taylor’s relationship with Conor Kennedy, grandnephew of the former president of the United States. With this song, with distorted voice included, Taylor shows two points of view of a relationship that was going nowhere, where he wanted stability and she wanted to continue forging her career in music.
He wanted it comfortable, I wanted that pain
He wanted a bride, I was making my own name
Chasing that fame, he stayed the same
All of me changed like midnight rain
Did you think there was only one song on this album that references Harry Style? Not at all. Question…? touches on it again, using a sample from Out Of The Woods, a song that tells the story of the relationship between the two singers 🎤
New York City was witness to their brief romance, a relationship with rights and wrongs that meant that both protagonists were never the same again. Undoubtedly, Question…? brings to the table such memorable moments of the couple’s relationship as their resounding kiss on New Year’s Eve 2012 in Times Square.
We had one thing going on
I swear that it was something
I don’t remember who I was before you
Painted all my nights
A color I’ve searched for since
With Vigilante Shit we go from the Taylor Swift of 1989 to the Taylor of the Reputation era. We’re talking about a song where revenge is served on a cold plate. If looks could kill, Taylor says she’d like to try it.
An infidelity, a letter with no return address and a divorce 📩 It seems Taylor has been a key part of the split between Scooter Braun and his wife, Yael Cohen. It seems that the manager of artists such as Demi Lovato, Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande has cost him dearly for taking Taylor’s music masters, who is now celebrating as the businessman’s ex-wife also dresses up to get revenge.
She needed cold hard proof, so I gave her some
She had the envelope, where you think she got it from?
Now she gets the house, gets the kids, gets the pride
Picture me thick as thieves with your ex-wife
And she looks so pretty
Drivin’ in your Benz
Bejeweled immerse us in a universe of brilliance and self-confidence. Don’t you see her when she walks into a room? Her eyes shine, but don’t take anything for granted with Taylor, because if you don’t give yourself completely, you won’t be worthy of her love. This song is the second single from Midnights and in her video it’s more than evident her winks to the video of Love You Like a Love Song, by her friend Selena Gomez, Wildest Dreams 💎
Getting our hearts broken doesn’t stop us from falling in love. This is precisely what Taylor talks about in Labyrinth, and the fact is that love can be like a real labyrinth, complicated but exciting at the same time.
Exciting but terrifying, because falling in love again after having suffered makes us vulnerable and we put up a barrier around ourselves and get lost in our own thoughts 💭
It only feels this raw right now
Lost in the labyrinth of my mind
Break up, break free, break through, break down
And after this intimate song about love, we return to a Taylor with a thirst for revenge in Karma. What is karma? For her it’s her boyfriend, a cat, a soothing thought, something sweeter than honey, God… Everything comes to her and, without a doubt, it seems that her spider (Scooter) boy (Braun), life has returned all the bad things that he has sown with his actions and beneficial contracts for only one party.
All this interesting business aside, it is rumoured that Karma was to be the name of the successor album to 1989, but events turned out to be Reputation, the singer’s darkest era. Why is this thought? The word could be seen written in graffiti in one of the shots of the video for the song The Man.
We almost end these sleepless nights with Sweet Nothing, a very relaxing song in which Taylor sings about how good she feels at home, in a safe place, with her partner, Joe Alwyn ❤️.
- Alwyn himself is one of the co-writers of this song, on which he contributes his name under the pseudonym William Bowery. It’s not the first song where he puts his touch, as he has already collaborated with Taylor on Exile and Betty, from Folklore, and on Coney Island, Champagne Problems and Evermore, from the album of the same name.
That Taylor has a privileged mind is no secret to anyone, and she prepares each of her eras at least three years in advance, leaving little easter eggs for her fans to enjoy. With Mastermind she puts an end to her 13 songs written during all those sleepless nights.
Again, references to past songs like Forever & Always and I Knew You Were Trouble and lyrics full of multiple references. One of them, her first meeting with her current partner, which presumably occurred during the 2016 Met Gala. At the time the singer was dating someone else, but as with her music, was she already thinking about her next step in love?
What if I told you none of it was accidental
And the first night that you saw me, nothing was gonna stop me
I laid the groundwork and then just like clockwor
The dominoes cascaded in a line
Is this the end of Taylor Swift’s sleepless nights? No, because not content with releasing 13 tracks, in reference to her favourite number, she released Midnights (3am Edition), available only in digital format and which includes 7 more songs, which we’ll talk about briefly below 💿
- With The Great War we return to romantic music, and this song has nothing remotely to do with any war, despite its name. How does it feel to fight with someone and almost lose that person? This song gives us an idea of what Taylor feels when this happens.
- What can be bigger than all the sky? No one knows who Bigger Than The Whole Sky is about, but some rumours say that this song about loss may be about Jeff Lang, a friend of the singer’s who died in 2010 at the age of 21.
- We travel to Paris with the next track on this album, which is about escaping and enjoying love no matter what the media says, no matter what the paparazzi takes pictures of you. And being in love seems to take Taylor to the clouds.
- We continue with High Infidelity, almost at the end of this album. Where was Taylor Swift on 29 April? This date has caused fans to bring their theories to the fore, claiming that this song would be about none other than Calvin Harris, who Taylor dated between 2015 and 2016. What does remain is that there seems to have been infidelity involved, based on the lyrics of the song.
- It seems that Swift’s operating system is failing and she’s… falling in love again? Where there seemed to be no chance, there was a relationship hiding and that’s what Glitch is all about, the word used to define small mistakes that appear in video games 🕹️, which in the song is represented with subtle but effective touches in the music and vocals.
- Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve is to the song that has created the most buzz of the entire album. Why? Like Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift has once again exposed her relationship with John Mayer, following in the footsteps of Dear John. She was 19 and he was past 30 when they dated, making it a relationship she no doubt regrets and one that brings back all the ghosts of the past.
- Dear Reader closes Midnights (3am Edition) with a list of advice for her listeners, not readers 📖
Without a doubt, Taylor Swift has returned to electronic pop in style.