🤘 METAL ROCK | A HARDCORE HEAVY METAL & ROCK PLAYLIST + stories behind each song
If you were not yet a fan of Rock and Metal music, after this playlist you will surely be. You will go through 13 hard-hitting songs with inspiring stories behind. Metal Rock from different eras, countries, and genres (yes, Heavy Metal has a lot of variants). Let your hair down, if you have it 👨🦲, and bring out the beast in you!
Heavy Metal & Rock Music | Stories behind 13 amazing songs
You know how much we love music stories, and when it comes to rock and heavy metal bands, even more, because they usually have very lively lives 😉. These are songs that generations of rockers have screamed along to and new metal tunes with guitar riffs that will knock you out 🎸
- Jared Leto, well-known actor, and his older brother Shannon Leto, drummer, formed in 1998 ‘Thirty Seconds to Mars’, a band that has moved between Rock and Post-Hardcore.
- With their 2nd album, named after our song, “Beautiful Lie”, they reached international success. It took them almost 3 years to record the album. Jared was shooting movies and they ended up going after him across 4 continents to finish the recording 🌎
- The video, shot north of the Arctic Circle, is a cry against climate change.
What is Post-Hardcore?
It is a subgenre of heavy metal dating back to the 80s. It has a bit of hardcore, because it uses fast tempos, and a bit of punk, with distorted guitars and repetitive riffs. In the 2000s it was updated by adding melodies with dissonance to some tracks.
- Critics said about “Manifest” album that it is a Metal roller coaster 🎢.
- The truth is that the guys from Amaranthe, which was called Avalanche when it was founded in 2008, have carved a niche in Heavy Metal for themself, thanks to:
1) They introduce something that other bands don’t have, 3 singers with very disparate voices: clean female vocals + clean male vocals + growling male vocals (what my mother calls screams 😵)
2) They wisely mix metal sounds with EDM (electronic music) and Pop.
- “Archangel” tells the story of the fall of angel Lucifer, a story of greed, betrayal and pride.
- “En blanco y negro” is a song by the legendary Spanish band Barricada, which is somewhere between heavy metal and punk.
- The singer, who is an institution in Spain, is known as “El Drogas (The Drugs)”, for his taste for joints 🚬
- El Drogas said about the cut:
The song is about those night dwellers who see life without nuances, installed in self-destruction and in the daily fight as a redeeming resource.
- Barricada appeals to both die-hard metalheads and those who are not into metal rock. It sounds (or used to sound) in any kind of radio station, which is an amazing merit. Not to mention that there isn’t a party in Spain where this song is not played, and everybody starts shouting: “quiero ser más rápido que ellos… (I want to be faster than them…)”.
- Martijn Westerholt, former Within Temptation keyboardist (you can listen to them in our Relaxing Playlist), founded Delain in 2002. It’s a symphonic and gothic metal band, whose members, after 8 albums, left the group. It was because Martijn didn’t want to tour anymore, and they did 👀.
- Heavy metal bassist and vocalist Marco Hietala situation is similar. In 2021, after reaching the top of heavy metal with Nightwish, he announced that he was retiring from public life. It is a great loss for the metal community, but we hope that, after a break, he will return.
- “Sing to Me” is the perfect definition of symphonic metal: catchy choruses, spellbinding melodies, and a good dose of guitar riffs.
- By the way, this is not the only time Delain and Marco Hietala work together. They already did it on ‘Lucidity‘ album.
- “Paralyzer” has a different feel to the rest of songs by the great alternative rock band Finger Eleven’s music, because it introduces a bit of funk making it even more danceable.
- The song is the group’s first and greatest hit. It gave them the No. 1 on the Rock charts in 2007. In addition, Finger Eleven is among the top 25 best-selling Canadian bands.
- Funnily enough the tune has 3 versions. The video contains the original CD version, but there are 2 more radio edit versions 📻 where the word “shitty” is either censored or changed by “shady“.
- By the way, if you are into music video games like Guitar Hero or Band Hero 🎮 you are bound to find this song.