LIL NAS X Montero | The story behind the new world star
Lil Nas X is MONTERO and MONTERO is Lil Nas X. I know, it doesn’t seem to make sense, but it does, because this rapper, creative, homosexual and new music superstar, has called his first album with his real name MONTERO Lamar Hill. His story explains it all.
Lil Nas X MONTERO (Call me by your name)
The origins of Lil Nas X | Montero’s Biography
Lil Nas X’s real name is Montero Lamar Hill, and the most curious thing is that he was named after a car, the Mitsubishi Montero 🚙
- He was born in 1999 (April 9) in the United States, more specifically in Atlanta.
- He spent much of his adolescence alone and turned to social networks as a means of expression.
- He created memes where you could already glimpse his great creativity, which he would later transfer to his music.
- He controlled a Nicki Minaj fan Twitter account with a huge following (@NasMaraj).
He didn’t have a good time as a teenager, he smoked so much weed that he even had pneumonia, but music came to the rescue.
In 2017, Lil Nas X started writing and recording songs in his closet, which would lead him to create his first mixtape called ‘Nasarati‘.
Why is it called Lil Nas X?
Montero adopted the name Lil Nas X as a tribute to the rapper Nas. He added humility with the word ‘Lil‘, which is short for ‘Little‘, and mystery with the letter ‘X‘.
In 2018 Lil buys the beat of the song anonymously from an online store for $30. Then he records, in a $20 an hour studio, a track called “Old Town Road“.
- To promote it, taking advantage of his skills he makes more than 100 memes with it.
- Little by little it starts to go viral on TikTok, the social network, and then …. the craze 🚀
- 18.4 million units sold in 2019
- 19 weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100.
- Longest number one in history
- 1.2 billion streams
Lil Nas X ft. Billy Ray Cyrus Old Time Road
Find out more amazing stories about the best new music 🧡
Already as a star, in 2019, during the celebration of LGBT Pride, Lil Nas X declares himself homosexual 🌈 Although almost everyone celebrated, some homophobia was also perceived within the hip hop scene.
In any case, Lil concentrates on his music and starts preparing his first album, MONTERO, making time to write a children’s book, ‘C Is for Country 🛒‘.
Lil Nas X Montero | The first album in 2021
Knowing the story of Lil Nas X is essential to understand his 1st album, which is named after him, ‘Montero‘.
Why? Because it’s not the typical hip-hop star album where he only talks about girls, partying and all the money he has, in fact, it’s quite the opposite. Lil Nas X, digs deep to tell us things about his family, things from the past, things that are very private for him.
He introduces the album with “Montero (Call Me by Your Name)“, becoming No.1 on the American charts again.
- The track talks about embracing your true self and forgetting about external judgments and shame 💪🏽
- The video, which is spectacular, includes mythological and biblical references.
The album cover, which is also gorgeous, depicts a cycle, the top and bottom coming together and continuing. Lil Nas X told that he wanted to express that he feels part of a cycle, which, like everything, will pass.
The album goes above and beyond, with thoughtful production and promotion commensurate with the star level Lil Nas X has reached, the album is packed with personal stories:
- Sun Goes Down: A reflection on his struggles with bullying, acceptance of his homosexuality and the idea of suicide.
- Dead Right Now: He speaks openly about his family. Especially harsh is the third verse he dedicates to his mother, who was an addict:
Mama told me she was gon’ stop fuckin’ ’round with that nigga
Told me she was clean, but I’m knowin’ that her as a deceiver
My mama told me that she love me, don’t believe her
When she get drunk, she hit me up, mad with a fever like ¡whoa!
- One Of Me: His song with Elton John on piano (he doesn’t sing), is about how everyone was telling him what to do after his success with ‘Old Time Road‘.
- That’s What I Want: A search for something meaningful in the world, relationships that last, experiences that stick. The opposite of what has happened to him since he became famous, which is meeting people who come and go.
- Industry Baby: Together with Jack Harlow, he scores another mega-hit with a trumpet sound that is irresistible 🎺
- Am I dreaming: It tells the feeling of being on a sinking ship and wondering if anyone will remember you. One of the best songs of ‘Montero’, with the impeccable voice of Miley Cyrus.
Lil Nas X hasn’t even been in music for 3 years and has already broken many records, but as he says, this is his life, music is his path, and this is just the beginning, but what a beginning!