AGNES Magic Still Exists | Disco music will free you
Reading Time | 4 min
Listening Time | 12 min
Agnes Fingers Cross
She was quickly signed by Sony BMG, debuting at the top of the Swedish charts with ‘Right Here Right Now’.
- Her 1st album, the eponymous Agnes, also debuted at number one in the official charts.
In 2006 she released ‘Stronger‘, her second album, which, although not as successful, took her on her second tour of Sweden in less than a year.
- The album features the ballad ‘Somewhere down the road ‘, and the mid-tempo ‘Love is all around‘.
In early 2008, Agnes left Sony BMG due to “creative differences”. She signed to Roxy and returned to the stage with ‘On and On‘, a single where her shift towards dance music is clearly visible. It became a big summer hit, selling over 10,000 copies.
That same style would be reflected on Agnes’ 3rd studio album, Dance Love Pop , which included ‘Release Me‘.
- While it didn’t seem to catch on much at first, the track gradually began to receive more attention and was released internationally, resulting in the biggest hit of her career.
- She received a so-called “signing bonus”, a million dollars to promote ‘Release Me’ with a team of 35 people who had worked for Lady Gaga. All to make her the next big thing 🌟
Release Me conquered the US and was later released in Asia and South America selling almost 1 million copies.
Her next singles didn’t have as much impact, but that didn’t stop Agnes and in 2011 she released ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart‘.
- The single failed to make it to the top of the Swedish chart, so the overseas release was halted.
For her 4th album, the label asked Agnes to move to the United States, but she refused because she didn’t feel at home. She decided to return to Sweden and record ‘Veritas‘ there, presented with the hit ‘One Last Time’.
The album was a moderate success, but she continued to do music-related things:
- In 2013 she participated in the TV show So Much Better.
- The same year she released the compilation ‘Collection’, including the song ‘When you tell the world you’re mine‘, sung with Swedish artist Björn Skifs, which she performed at the wedding of Sweden’s Crown Princess Victoria.
- It also included a magnificent unreleased track, ‘You rain’.
In 2015, at the age of 26, she was at a crossroads in her life and decided to quit music. Having started at 16, he had not been able to enjoy those youthful years, so she decided to start travelling and enjoying other hobbies, without being sure if she would ever sing again. After two years she thought:
No, I am an artist, I want to make songs, but I have to find my way to do it.
So, she started a process to know herself better as a musician, composing more than 100 songs that were never released 🎶
Already in 2019, we would have new material from Agnes:
- She collaborated with Avicii on the hit single ‘Tough Love‘.
- She released a short album called ‘Nothing Can Compare‘, with hypnotic tracks like ‘I Trance‘.
- Later, she would release 2 more very good singles: ‘Goodlife’ and ‘Stripped Down’.
- She also participated in the tribute album to the late Roxette singer, singing the eternal ‘It Must Have Been Love‘.
And so, we come to 2021 when Agnes releases her new album, Magic Still Exists.
Agnes Magic Still Exists | Disco music is the light in the tunnel
Agnes chose that title because:
Music is a space where there are no limits, you can do and be whatever you want and for me that’s magic.
Listening to the album is a pleasure, you can appreciate every second of the effort Agnes has put into creating disco music with a spiritual background. On Magic Still Exists we find:
- 6 electro-pop, funk and, of course, Disco tracks.
- 4 experimental and atmospheric interludes.
- 1 ballad with piano and vocals that closes the album.
Agnes told us about ‘Fingers Crossed’:
It is inspired by the feeling that nothing is impossible…. It’s a song that can lift you to new dimensions… The song is unapologetic, “I welcome you to my party, and since it’s mine… I can do whatever I want to do“.
Among the most acclaimed songs we find ‘Selfmade‘, which talks about the frustration of everything going so, so fast. Agnes tells us that sometimes it is very important to calm down and take time.
One of Agnes’ favourite songs is ’24 Hours’, which she explains:
When we need to process a dramatic change in our life, we go through different stages of emotion. The video for 24 hours is based on that journey, and the different personalities that it brings to light.
If you ask us for our favourite track from ‘Magic Still Exists’, it’s undoubtedly ‘Here Comes The Night‘:
- It starts with a sound that reminds us of Rocky.
- The chorus could be signed by ABBA.
- It is among the best songs of 2021.
It is a homage to all of us out there who are longing to just let go. It is a declaration to the dreamers, the night, the mist, the spirituality. Those that dare to fall in love – with the moment, the people around them and themselves. Hopefully it will guide the listener into a moment of something they can call freedom.